Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Radiohead "Karma Police" arrangement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWbCsTxe8XA

In 2009 I finally made myself finish this idea I had of arranging "Karma Police" for a classical guitar ensemble.  A couple years earlier, a good friend told me about a solo gig he went to of another good friend.  He said he thought they sang "Karma Police" in three.  Granted, he was most likely drunk that night.  Also, I'm pretty sure it was this guy's original song that had similar chord changes, so to my friend's intoxicated ears it probably sounded like Radiohead.  But, the idea stayed in the back of my mind. 

A couple years ago I got an adjunct position in the guitar department at Millikin University in Decatur, IL.  I was given the second ensemble to direct.  Eventually, the thought of arranging this song for a guitar ensemble emerged.  Once the writing process started, it really became obvious to me that the melody works well in 3/4 time. 

Now, I understand if some don't like the idea of changing the feel of a song.  Either do it the original way or not at all.  But I come from a background that encourages you to interpret songs differently.  It's not meant as disrespect, but rather to be creative within the structures of a song.  To show a melody can be presented in many different lights.  Play a 4/4 song in 3/4, play a swing tune with a Latin groove or a rock tune with an up-tempo bluegrass feel.  I tend to believe one of the key characteristics of a great song is that it can be played in just about any style.  So here is the demo I recorded for my guitar ensemble as a way for them to listen to and get an idea of the arrangement.  Hope you enjoy it!

(After rehearsing with the group, I decided to change some sections fairly drastically.  But, there aren't any new recordings.  So this will have to do for now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment