Thursday, March 18, 2010

Marc Ribot Solo - Aqui Como Alla

Alright, this week was spring break from teaching, so I had some extra time to get another transcription down...

Marc Ribot is another name that only tends to be known within certain circles.  You can learn more about him at his site: www.marcribot.com.  I first saw his name on some of my Medeski, Martin & Wood albums, particularly The Dropper and End of the World Party (Just in Case).  His playing on the later really caught my ears.  You can hear him really digging into the strings, putting every ounce of energy and emotion into each note.  Probably the most well-known album he has appeared on is the recent Raising Sand.  This beautifully produced album by T Bone Burnett features a couple rockin' solos by Ribot, but also shows how well he blends within a solid group of musicians.  Of course, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss just make it sound so easy as well.  And yet, Ribot regularly teams up with John Zorn.  So he never limits himself to one style or genre, which is what I admire.

Ok, if you're reading this because you're interested in a transcribed solo by Ribot, I have a cool one for ya.  Check out his album with his self-described "punk-Latin" group, Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos.  The album is full of tunes by the late Cuban composer, Arsenio Rodriquez.  This solo comes from the second track, "Aqui Como Alla."

You can view the solo transcription here: Marc Ribot Solo - Aqui Como Alla (PDF) 

The tune itself is a simple melody (reminds me of Tequila) with a nice bridge.  Once the solo begins, Ribot doesn't stay within the key of E for too long.  There are some harmonically fun parts and great rhythmic sequences, but he always resolves by returning to some tasty blues lines.  It's a longer transcription written in standard notation and TAB, so I'm just posting it as a .pdf file.  If you have any troubles viewing it, please let me know.  I really encourage you to listen to the recording to get a feel for his specific phrasing, dynamics and occasional palm-muting.  I tried to write the TAB in areas of the neck where I think he plays, and also seems to make the most sense given the melodic lines.

Marc Ribot is a great player to check out.  I hope you enjoy taking a little look and listen into his playing.  Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Great solo by Marc, excellent choice and excellent work on the transcription. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I really appreciate it a lot. Sorry, I haven't posted more. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, there are not that many Marc Ribot tabs on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This transcription is awesome. Ribot is truly a genius.
    Thanks a lot for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete